People pls read all the above and take mold seriously..It can cause major respiratory illnesses as well as allergies including sinuses and skin problems.It can cause long term memory failure as well as reducing your ability to smell and headaches..Once you get rid of it it you will find your health improving .Mold can be found in damp places ,walls,ceilings ,carpet,wood and vents as well as air-conditioning systems .Please take this seriously and wishing you the best of health!!!
Mold toxin hyperreactivity (the tendency to be very negatively affected by even extremely small amounts of mold toxins in the environment) appears to be very strongly associated with toxic mold illness.
Whether it’s the slimy black spots on your shower curtain, the fuzzy white patches on your basement floor, or the slick orange film that forms on your kitchen drain, household mold is more than unsightly. In some cases, mold in your home can make you sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma.
If you would like to talk with other people about what worked for them and what they did to help themselves, feel free to join Dr. Short-Ray’s facebook group called, The Toxic Mold Support Group. In this group you can converse with others who have been through the same thing on a private members only Facebook group page. This group has over 4500 members and is growing rapidly. Go to the Support web page. Just go to facebook.com and ask to join the Toxic Mold Support Group.
Additional details and steps for addressing various types and sizes of mold remediation projects can be found at the New York City Department of Health’s website under Guidelines on Assessment and Remediation of Fungi in Indoor Environments.
Get a picture of it and take it to your local board of health and have them investigate it. They’ll let your landlord know if it’s black mold or not. If it is black mold, he may have to pay to get it fixed.
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas, which cannot be seen, smelled or tasted but is found in the dirt and rocks beneath houses, in well water and in some building materials. When you breathe radon, the sensitive cells in your airway get irritated, increasing the risk of lung cancer. Radon causes an estimated 20,000 lung cancer deaths each year, but it can take up to 20 years of exposure before one falls ill.
Killing Black Mold with Ammonia has its advantages. It’s a good disinfectant and does a pretty good job of killing mold on hard, non-porous items. These items would include the bathroom sink, shower doors or kitchen counters.
Today we have a collection of images of interesting and unique houses from around the world, from cave dwellings and tree houses to soccer-ball-shaped shelters, toilet-shaped homes, and portable domiciles. Updated with new images on October 3, 2017.
But, testing does have its advantages, one being a sense of closure. Testing gives you confidence that this is really what you are dealing with and psychologically this can be a huge help for the patient as well as family members struggling to believe that their loved one is not crazy.
The main problem I have with mold is in the caulk around the shower against the stainless steel glass door frame, and around the sink.. Do you need to rinse the vinegar off once you spray these areas down? Will the vinegar corrode the stainless steel if left on too long?
I don’t ask you to dramatically change what you’re doing, what you’re doing is great: and no, it’s not your fault that the “healthcare” system in this country is effed, or that access to healthy food, water, air, housing is heavily stratified among class and race lines…I merely ask that you lower your blinders just a little, to give a little nod to the masses that aren’t in your economic class, because some of us DO follow you. this could mean simply acknowledging the relatively inaccessibility of many of your suggestions, or even the occasional suggestion of lower-cost alternatives, or links to resources. Otherwise your efforts merely benefit the upper classes.
According to the EPA, studies have found that VOC levels are two to five times higher indoors than outdoors. During and for several hours immediately after certain activities, such as paint-stripping, levels may be 1,000 times background outdoor levels.
Black mold is not more toxic than other types of household molds. All molds have the potentially to cause respiratory issues, especially those who are prone to allergies. All molds should be cleaned immediately to prevent this from happening.
Once you’ve discovered mould on clothes, the treatment depends on how old the mould stains are as well as the type of fabric. Fresh mould stains can often be removed simply by laundering with a good quality detergent like Persil Powercaps, so you may even be able to skip Steps 2 and 3 below.
Bleach is often mistaken as the best warrior against mold, but it won’t go deep into the wood to prevent mold growth. Disinfectants can kill molds but do not prevent new growth on damp wood or other materials. Many people are beginning to understand that bleach and other chemicals are harmful, even aggravating asthma and the respiratory tract. Its full negative impact on the environment is not fully known.
I have a Bosch front loader…already replaced the seal due to mold…it is worse than ever. I will NEVER buy another Bosch product. I was told to use All detergent as it is not petroleum-based, as opposed to Tide, which is petroleum-based. Regardless, the mold is so invasive!! I have tried everything to no avail…any help would be so appreciated.
Step 6: Switch to the full strength 27% solution after the first couple of hours. Spray this strong cleaner as before, just be extra careful not to get any on your skin. It will burn like crazy! Don’t let the 27% peroxide run down your gloves onto your skin. For any skin contact, immediately flush with lots of clean water. Use the 27% peroxide spray for a full day. I allowed 48 hours for the full treatment of bad black stains.
Mold growth, which often looks like spots, can be many different colors, and can smell musty. If you can see or smell mold, a health risk may be present. You do not need to know the type of mold growing in your home, and CDC does not recommend or perform routine sampling for molds. No matter what type of mold is present, you should remove it. Since the effect of mold on people can vary greatly, either because of the amount or type of mold, you can not rely on sampling and culturing to know your health risk. Also, good sampling for mold can be expensive, and standards for judging what is and what is not an acceptable quantity of mold have not been set. The best practice is to remove the mold and work to prevent future growth.
For people sensitive to mold, inhaling or touching mold spores can cause allergic reactions, including sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. People with serious mold allergies may have more severe reactions, including shortness of breath. In people with asthma who are allergic to mold, breathing in spores can also cause asthma attacks.
Also, make sure to properly ventilate your home. It’s especially important to have exhaust fans in your bathrooms and kitchen. Make sure not to carpet your bathroom(s) because this will only increase the trapping of moisture. You should also remove and replace any carpets in your home that have experienced flooding.
This time I used vinegar and a few drops of Tea tree Oil in a spray bottle, left it for 2 hours and VOILA it wiped off so easily I was actually amazed! Its been two months since and not a spot of mildew has returned. It truly works.
We also had some of the bales wick moisture up from the bottom when we had a wet spell (before we had the roof on we had plastic over the walls), they are sitting up on a stone rubble bed but they still sucked up some water. They seem to have dried out well but wondering if you have any ideas.
This illness happens after exposure to the interior environment of a Water-Damaged Building (WDB). There are many ways buildings become home to a toxic mix of microbes, and harmful chemicals. Buildings can host fungi, bacteria, mycobacteria, and actinomycetes as a result of construction defects like inappropriate ventilation, faulty construction of crawl spaces, inadequate building design, flat roofs, fake stucco cladding without adequate caulking, basements exposed to saturated ground water conditions, not correcting water leaks and more.
You are exposed to biotoxic mold and your immune system does not respond appropriately to remove the foreign invader. Why you do not respond probably has a genetic cause. Get an HLA DR DQ test to determine if you are genetically susceptible to toxic mold.
Getting rid of black mold in our humid Southern climate is easier said than done. We have black mold despite running two dehumidifiers, using gas heat, and running the AC during cool weather in early spring and fall to aid dehumidification. We’ve resorted to copper sulfate, which kills the mold on our concrete outer walls, but it comes right back. We are going to have to have all inner wall drywall and plaster and the carpets removed from our house. I want to move but my husband is in denial. He’s developed allergies, and it has exacerbated my lung problems I already had because I had histoplasmosis when I was a child. I’m so desperate I’ve actually thought about using a torch on the nonflammable walls to see if high heat would kill the mold.